Tuesday 2 January 2018

30 Dec to 1 Jan - Korean Airways London to Seoul then to Auckland

We chose to fly to Auckland using Korean Airways with a stopover in Seoul. The first flight was 10 hrs and 55minutes, a 2hr 20min stopover and 11hrs 10minutes on the second flight.
I would happily fly Korean again, the flight crew were very very smiley on each flight they came around and introduced themselves to us and the service was superb.
We were flying priority which is the equivalent of business. A choice of a soft drink was out as soon as we had sat down with a packets of nuts. I'd have to be a giant to be able to reach the wall in front of me,   the seat  reclined with an adjustable electric footrest. Superbly comfortable. 

No problems leaving my seat without disturbing Jono. Loads of overhead storage and 3 portholes just for me to stare out of. Tv had to stay stowed during take off but as soon as we were up, out it came, table unfolded from its cubby hole and tablets plugged in to keep charging. Over ear headphones were provided , I used my own for this flight and theirs for the next one. Both were good.
I have to rave about the meal, 6 courses,beautifully presented and tasty. Could not fit in the cheese course so theres no piccie of it and in case you were wondering there was a good selevtion of wine on offer I just prefered to stick with the soft stuff.




I had prechosen the seafood meal so all myfood featured fish, Jono had steak, and he was asked how he wanted it cooked.

After the film, Valerian and the city of the thousand planets. Seats reclined to a full sized bed, blankets and pillows out, water and face spray handed out,asked if we wanted waking for breakfast and we went to sleep. Well we dozed. It was comfortable if a little too warm and we had a turbulent flight. Seats 9a and 9b are right over the wings so I think we got more vibrations than seats further forward did. Jono thought the seats were a bit narrow but I was fine. By the end of the night I had got rid of as much clothing as possible, drank all the water and used the cooling face spray. It felt a bit tropical.
Break fast  was served 2 hours before landing.
Lemon cake to the left, choice was given

We were about 30 minutes late getting into Seoul so our transfer time was now only 1 hr 50 mins. We headed for the lounges, used the spacious bathrooms to freshen up, dumped our stuff in a locker( yes a locker in an airport!) and headed out to walk ss much and as far as we could.
Seoul is a lovely, modern, spacious airport. Toilets were situated about every other gate and there were loads of shops selling both recognisable European brands as well as Asian ones. What I really liked though were the two cultural centres where you could try Korean culture for free. They also had live music playing here and at another place in the airport a quartet was playing. People dressed up as the royal family paraded through the airport complete with canopy over the top and guards carrying historic weapons. If you had a longer stopover than we did there were free transit tours available too or you could book into the transit hotel. 

All too soon it was time to board our next flight. Travelling on New Years Eve meant there was almost no one on the flight, again drinks arrived as soon as we did. This was a different airoplane with the tv in a console do itvould be watvhed before,during and after takeoff. Another 6 course meal was served I watched Victoria and Abdul and we settled down to sleep.




Entree

Starter

Soup

Jono chose the Asian meal and got taught how to eat it

Mine was the preordered seafood meal


Could have had vanilla icecream or blueberry cheesecake
This time I thought I'd be prepared. Too hot last flight? Pack away all socks and warm clothes. This flight however was cold. Half way through I got up retrieved jacket etc and then slept a bit. Even easier to get in and out of these seats. I had my own little passageway. We both asked for more water during the sleep time, the flight attendants were around but not intrusive. It felt very private and cosy in my little pod.
Breakfast was served an hour before landing, with so few people on the flight I think it gave the attendants more leeway in giving us extra sleeptime!
I forgot to take a picture of the fruit served after this unfortunately




No comments:

Post a Comment

Day by Day- use this to get to a particular day or to see what we have done

Blog posts in Order with links: Click on any day to see that day's photos, videos and comments. To return to this page, scroll to the ...