Tuesday 9 January 2018

Day 7, Epiphany, Athentree, Katikati


Jan 7 by Karen

Sunday so time to find the local catholic church, Stella Maris, just up the road at Waihi beach. It was strange seeing a nativity crib up and singing carols, the warm weather and being on holiday means Christmas seems a long time ago!
This was a really friendly church. Both the people in the pew in front of me and the one I was on introduced themselves and asked about me. I heard about the new grandson just born, the brother visiting from the states, the husband who had visited the UK. I was given a restaurant recommendation, asked about my church at home and when the sign of peace came round everyone used my name to wish me peace. The priest's homily was one of the best I've heard, humorous and thoughtful. Pity we are not here next Sunday, this is a church that would be nice to revisit.
After church I met up with the Alcocks on the beach where they had been body boarding before we had lunch together.

A historic homestead, just up the road was open so we went to visit it. Athenree was built at the end of the 19th century by settlers from Ireland.
Kai playing the piano brought over on the ship by the immigrants


Next we ventured further down the coast to Katikati, known as the mural town. Loads of murals painted on walls.

And we also found the haiku trail down by the river where we played pooh sticks.





And then to a cafe where I had my first L&P. Liked it lots but its full of sugar! I've since found the diet version which also tastes good.
Slight change to this evening's game. Jago and Jensen now know how to play 4 handed canasta. Jago and Teresa are winning but we haven't reached 5000 points yet so there is hope for Jago and I.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Day by Day- use this to get to a particular day or to see what we have done

Blog posts in Order with links: Click on any day to see that day's photos, videos and comments. To return to this page, scroll to the ...