Sunday 7 January 2018

Day 6 - Running out of things to break

I started the day at 7am with a run with Teresa on Waihi beach; we were guessing for the tide time so we'd have hard sand to run on, luck was with us :) Teresa's watch read 2.8km when we turned around at a beach log that looked like crocodile eating a swan. The head wind was bracing; we were expecting it to push us back to our starting point at a faster pace. We turned back and headed for the entrance to the beach, nearly made it all the way :D. A quick dip in the sea to cool off, pretty powerful breakers and a side rip. Then back past cold rinse showers on the campsite.
Breakfast and then Teresa suggested a crack at the surf in the surf Kayaks. It was what I'd been waiting for :D. I borrowed one of the boys helmets and a PFD and we took the boats down to the beach, a quick inspection and we decided to head up the beach past the (empty) life guard station. The surf was looking pretty wild to me, but I'd just run 5K so I was feeling invincible. We spotted a sand bar further out by the headland by the waves breaking on it.
Into the boats, and we paddled out, at this point I thought Teresa was behind me, what I didn't see was her get swamped while getting her deck on, I was in a really narrow boat and hoping not to tip in waves that were occasionally breaking at head height. Having pushed through a couple of waves I turned the boat to get a look at the shore and orientate myself, unfortunately that meant I was also now on a massive wave, nothing I could do I thought but ride it out; unfortunately riding straight down the face of a wave is not the recomended technique. I piled straight down throught the curve and nose into the sand, the rest of the wave tipped me head over tails, and the next wave took me out of the boad, took the helmet off my head and left me just about within reach of the paddle. Struggling in the surf I was also now being dragged down the beach by the current. I got to my feet and chased after the boat, finally catching up with it. Matt and Teresa's boats are fibreglass, so care needs to be taken emptying swampped boats, no heaving on the cockpit, I got enough water out by rolling it on it's side to get it to float above the water and then dragged it ashore.
I knew I'd hit the sand hard, but once I got the boat out I could see how hard. I had cracked the top (and later we spotted on the bottom, just not as bad) and sprung the seal around the two halves of the boat. Crumbs, first time out and I totalled the boat.
Teresa by this time was out on the water, she'd missed all the drama. A couple of waves finally took her out while she was making her way back in, wet exits all round!

Edited and prevewed by Kai :)(:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day by Day- use this to get to a particular day or to see what we have done

Blog posts in Order with links: Click on any day to see that day's photos, videos and comments. To return to this page, scroll to the ...